People in the know keep asking me if we’ve heard anything new regarding our adoption and the changes taking place in Haiti. Friends following our story a little less closely ask how long it will be till we bring our daughter into our home too.
Let me share what we know right now…not much.
A week and a half ago I felt the real possibility my dream of a baby girl from Haiti was crushed. So much of our paper chase hangs on our homestudy report and it seemed we were stalled on getting that done fast. I honestly had hoped we’d be done our interviews in May. Here we were in mid June and we had two long interviews to go and Mike and I were facing back to back weeks of travel.
I confess…I was not praying or trusting God as much as I was talking about doing that.
Thankfully I know other people were interceding on our behalf. We believe in something called spiritual warfare. I think we began to show signs of fatigue and anxiety in this process and our enemy saw an opportunity and tried to capitalize on it.
There were some weird delays. Then our AC unit broke to the tune of $700. (We RARELY have that kind of unexpected bill.) Then Mike took his car in for an oil change and found it needed $1200 of engine work. Ouch.
In case maybe you missed it, international adoption is crazy expensive.
So finaly we got the last two interviews scheduled…squeezed in between my trip and Mike’s. We conveyed the increased urgency created by the impending changes in Haiti. Our agency coordinator increased how often she updated us with even little bits of info. Not to mention she stepped up the encouraging scripture.
Yesterday I felt some real hope that this may still happen. There is one important form, the I-600a, that we have to file with USCIS (US immigration) as soon as our homestudy is done. That may be the clincher to whether or not we can proceed before the close the country to adoptions. Also there are a few delays Haiti may create to stall becoming an official Hague country. That would be good!
Our agency is (wisely) not going to match us with a child until some of the uncertainty is sorted out. August first is a key date in all these questions with Haiti social services. I hope we’ll know more sooner than that, but at least we know AN answer is not years away.
So please pray with us that they do start taking new cases Aug. 1st. We’re still hoping and asking for a referral of a baby girl in Haiti.